Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
The Winter 2017 BSN application filing period begins on September 1, 2016 and the deadline is October 3, 2016.
The Fall 2017 BSN application filing period begins on January 2, 2017 and the deadline is March 1, 2017.
1. The BSN application (PDF doc link) is only posted on the Nursing Dept webpages during BSN application filing periods. During filing periods, applicants must submit the items below to the Nursing Dept, either in-person or mailed. If documents are mailed, they must be addressed to: CSUSB, ATTN: Nursing Dept., 5500 University Parkway, San Bernardino, CA 92407, and postmarked no later than the deadlines. Beginning for Winter 2015 BSN admission, all applicants must be a pre-nursing major. All potential students must be aware of the Central/Essential Functions required for student nurses: Central Essential Functions of Nursing
- BSN application.
- Printed copy of the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) test results score sheet.
- Printed copy of CSUSB PAWS report (expanded) or Official Transcripts.
- Only if mailing-in one or more documents, additional form posted on department site during BSN filing period.
NOTE: For the Fall 2017 BSN, since BSN prerequisites can be in progress during the winter/spring terms, there is a
second deadline of June 30, 2017. The only documents submitted to the Nursing department (and to the Admissions office or Graduate Admissions office) by the second deadline are final transcripts that list ANY course grades not listed on PAWS/Credit Summary.
- Attending a "Dept. Informational Session" within the past year.
- Submitting ‘letter(s) of recommendation’
- Submitting ‘proof of bilingual proficiency’
2. Applying for CSUSB admission is a separate process. Undergraduate transfers and Post Baccalaureates (PostBacs) must submit a complete application to CSUSB on www.csumentor.edu, during an open Undergraduate CSUSB application period. For the Fall 2017 BSN, all transcripts and any required campus supporting documents must be submitted to the Admissions office (for Undergrads) or Graduate Admissions office (for PostBacs) by the final document deadline date of June 30, 2017.
3. For more, see Important BSN Info
4. Applicants who have previously applied may roll-over documents that were previously submitted during the prior Nursing application filing period (Up to one year only). Acceptable documents that can be rolled-over include: TEAS score sheets, letters of recommendation, proof of bilingual proficiency, and official transcripts. During the BSN filing period, it is the applicant’s responsibility to inform the Nursing Dept to roll-over documents and submit the current BSN application, and official transcripts that have any grades not listed on the PAWS.
5. Students admitted to campus prior to Fall 2014 must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 overall and 3.0 in the BSN pre-requisites. Students admitted to campus beginning Fall 2014 must have a minimum GPA of 3.5 overall (at time of campus admission) and 3.0 in the BSN pre-requisites. Applicants must earn a “C” or better in all of the BSN pre-requisites. Effective Fall 2009, CSUSB does not allow the repeating of courses with initial grades of “C” or better.
6. Applicants with completed or planned pre-req courses that are not found as equivalent/acceptable on www.assist.org based on the academic year of completion, must inquire and gain approvals to fulfill Nursing pre-reqs. Before inquiring, if classes were taken at California public schools, check assist listings under the Nursing (BS) major, department the class falls under, and CC/JC CSU GE-Breadth Certification Course sections. If these listings are unclear, applicants would contact the Nursing Dept for clarification/advisement. For sciences, email online course descriptions. When inquiring about Microbiology, Anatomy, & Physiology pre-reqs, email firstname.lastname@example.org. For Chemistry email email@example.com. For GE's contact the Evaluations Office: 909-537-5200, Option 4 and/or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. It is the applicant’s responsibility to initiate the process, follow through with appropriate departments, and obtain course equivalency verification and submit approval to the Nursing Dept. by the application deadline.
7. All prerequisite classes for Winter admission must be completed by the end of the previous CSUSB summer quarter. Winter BSN applicants are notified of BSN admission/denial by mail, in mid-to-late October of the previous year.
8. All pre-requisite classes for fall admission must be completed by the end of the preceding spring term. Fall BSN applicants are notified of BSN admission/denial by mail, in mid-to-late July.
9. Applicants must complete the ATI-TEAS pre-admission examination and submit score sheet to the Nursing Department by October 3, 2016 for Winter 2017; and by March 1, 2017 for Fall 2017. Test credit is based on the “adjusted individual total score” percentage results. A score of 70% is the minimum score required. Beginning for winter 2012 BSN admission, the TEAS test taken must be version 5.0.
10. Admitted applicants must be California Residents per impacted status definition. If admitted, the program requires a valid Social Security Number/Card (SSN) and passing Background Checks that are conducted by certain clinical agencies. Attending the program also requires additional prominent costs.
Prerequisite support courses required for admission:
- BIOL 220 Principles of Microbiology (5)
- BIOL 223 Human Physiology and Anatomy I (5)
- BIOL 224 Human Physiology and Anatomy II (5)
- CHEM 205 Fundamentals of Chemistry I: General Chemistry (5)
- English: 107, 104A, 104B, or 106 (4)
- Critical Thinking: Comm 180, Hon 104A, Math 180, Phil 105, Phil 200, Psyc 105, or Soc 180 (4)
- Comm 120 or Hon 104C (4)
- Math 165, or Statistics (4)
For additional information, or for questions/concerns regarding the required pre-reqs,
visit the Nursing Department (HP- 215), or contact the front office at (909) 537-5380.
BSN Revised and Classic Curriculum
(All information subject to change)